Established through a bequest from A. Watson Armour III, Class of 1933.
Endowed Professorships, Preceptorships & Fellowships
The University has number of professorships, preceptorships, and fellowships supported by endowed and term funds, which have been made available by gifts and bequests of alumni and friends of Princeton.
|1995 - 2015||C. G. Emerson||Slavic Languages and Literatures|
|2016 -||D. Garber||Philosophy|
Given by the International Business Machines Corporation.
|1975 - 1984||R. H. Dicke||Physics|
|1984 - 2000||P. J. Peebles||Physics|
|2001 -||P. J. Steinhardt||Physics|
Established by a gift of the Avalon Foundation of New York and formerly the "Avalon Foundation Chair in the Humanities" from 1962 through 2010.
|1962 - 1970||W. J. Oates||Council of the Humanities|
|1972 - 1982||E. D. Sullivan||Council of the Humanities|
|1982 - 1988||A. B. Kernan||English|
|1988 - 2003||E. Showalter||English|
|2011 -||S. A. Stewart||English|
Established by a gift from Bert G. Kerstetter '66 to honor excellence in teaching, research, or scholarship.
|2003 - 2013||A. M. Slaughter||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
|2015 -||Y. Xie||Sociology and the Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies|
Established by the members of the Class of 1943 and their friends for the support of a chair in a traditional or new area of scholarship.
|1965 - 1970||S. N. Hampshire||Philosophy|
|1970 - 1977||L. Lapidus||Chemical Engineering|
|1979 - 1997||D. E. Stokes||Politics, Woodrow Wilson School|
|1998 - 2002||D. K. Lewis||Philosophy|
|2002 - 2012||C. West||African American Studies|
|2007 -||M. A. Cook||Near Eastern Studies|
|2009 -||L. Barkan||Comparative Literature|
Established to provide for recognition of a scholar of extraordinary ability in any discipline; supported by the Henry W. Putnam Fund.
|1962 - 1968||J. W. Milnor||Mathematics|
|1968 - 1969||R. H. Wilhelm||Chemical Engineering|
|1969 - 1973||A. Mendel||Music|
|1975 - 1999||V. H. Brombert||Romance Languages and Literatures, Comparative Literature|
|2001 -||A. T. Grafton||History|
|2009 - 2016||J. M. Cooper||Philosophy|
|2015 -||D. Conley||Sociology|
|2016 -||M. Johnston||Philosophy|
Established by a gift from Herbert E. Jones, Jr., Class of 1943.
|1984 -||C. L. Fefferman||Mathematics|
Established through a bequest from Althea Ward Clark in memory of her husband, Howard G.B. Clark, Class of 1921.
|1994 - 1998||R. E. Banks|
|1998 -||P. B. Muldoon|
Established by a gift from the James S. McDonnell Foundation in memory of James S. McDonnell '21. Six professorships generally in the fields of astronomy and astrophysics, engineering and applied science, international affairs and economics, mathematics and physics, neuroscience and psychology, and philosophy and religion.
|1982 - 1993||V. L. Fitch||Physics|
|1982 - 1997||A. Jameson||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|1982 - 1983||W. A. Lewis||Economics, Woodrow Wilson School|
|1982 - 1990||G. A. Miller||Psychology|
|1983 - 1986||C. E. Black||History|
|1985 - 1995||H. S. Bienen||Politics, Woodrow Wilson School|
|1985 -||R. E. Tarjan||Computer Science|
|1986 - 2006||J. H. Taylor||Physics|
|1992 - 2005||S. R. Forrest||Electrical Engineering|
|1993 - 1995||A. J. Libchaber||Physics|
|1995 -||C. G. Callan||Physics|
|1995 - 2010||A. M. Treisman||Psychology|
|1998 - 2007||P. Benacerraf||Philosophy|
|2006 - 2016||I. Rodriguez-Iturbe||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|2009 -||G. H. Harman||Philosophy|
|2009 - 2013||A. J. Wiles||Mathematics|
|2011 -||D. W. C. MacMillan||Chemistry|
|2015 -||L. A. Page, Jr.||Physics|
|2016 -||S. A. Levin||Ecology and Evolutionary Biology|
Established by a gift from John J. F. Sherrerd '52 and Kathleen Compton Sherrerd. To be held in the departments of the Social Sciences, and in particular in the Department of Economics or in the Woodrow Wilson School.
|1989 - 2010||A. Dixit||Economics|
|2012 -||C. A. Sims||Economics|
Established by a gift from the International Business Machines Corporation.
|1986 - 1987||J. H. Conway||Visiting Professor|
|1987 - 2013||J. H. Conway||Mathematics|
|2015 -||P. Constantin||Mathematics and Applied and Computational Mathematics|
Established by a gift from Laurance S. Rockefeller, Class of 1932. Two professorships for senior faculty associated with the Princeton University Center for Human Values, and one visiting professorship associated with the Center.
|1990 - 2004||A. Gutmann||Politics and University Center for Human Values|
|1996 - 1997||J. J. Waldron||Politics and University Center for Human Values|
|2002 - 2014||K. A. Appiah||Philosophy and University Center for Human Values|
|2005 -||P. N. Pettit||Politics and University Center for Human Values|
Established through a bequest from Michael Henry Strater, Class of 1951.
|1987 - 1994||Y. S. Yu||East Asian Studies|
|1994 - 1999||G. Shimura||Mathematics|
|2001 - 2004||B. Engquist||Mathematics and Applied and Computational Mathematics|
|2005 -||H. V. Poor||Electrical Engineering|
Established by a grant from Ronald O. Perelman.
|1998 - 2013||P. Schäfer||Religion|
|2013 -||L. F. Batnitzky||Religion|
Established by the University in the sciences or in engineering in grateful recognition of a major grant by the Sherman Fairchild Foundation.
|1986 - 2008||H. Kobayashi||Electrical Engineering and Computer Science|
Visiting Professorships for Distinguished Teaching
Established by Laurance S. Rockefeller, Class of 1932, during the Anniversary Campaign for Princeton, to support a distinguished visiting professor at the University Center for Human Values.
|2000 - 2001||M. S. Williams|
|2001 - 2002||J. D. Moon|
|2002 - 2003||J. B. Schneewind|
|2003 - 2004||J. Tatum|
|2004 - 2005||D. Jamieson|
|2005 - 2006||W. Sinnott-Armstrong|
|2006 - 2007||J. Haidt|
|2007 - 2008||D. Marquis|
|2009 - 2010||F. Oz-Salzberger|
|2010 - 2011||J. Seery|
|2011 - 2012||L. S. Temkin|
|2012 - 2013||P. P. Brooks|
|2013 - 2014||Q. Skinner|
|2014 - 2015||D. Edelstein|
|2016 - 2017||S. J. Brison|
Established by an anonymous alumnus during the Anniversary Campaign for Princeton, in honor of Stanley Kelley, Jr., Professor of Politics, Emeritus.
|2001 - 2002||D. Colander||Economics|
|2002 - 2003||J. Patterson||Astrophysical Sciences|
|2003 - 2004||H. Abelove||English|
|2007 - 2008||K. R. Morgan||Classics|
|2007 - 2008||S. Sherman||English|
|2007 - 2008||M. van Zuylen||French and Italian|
|2008 - 2009||M. Doody||Comparative Literature|
|2008 - 2009||E. Weitz||History|
|2009 - 2010||K. Kern||Religion and Study of Women & Gender (Visiting Associate Professor)|
|2009 - 2010||B. Thornton Dill||Sociology|
|2010 - 2011||C. Camic||Sociology|
|2010 - 2011||A. Smock||Comparative Literature|
|2011 - 2012||L. Bersani||English and French and Italian|
|2011 - 2012||C. D. Impey||Astrophysical Sciences|
|2013 - 2014||A. Riggsby||Classics|
|2013 - 2014||K. Devlin||Mathematics|
|2014 - 2015||H. Love||Gender and Sexuality Studies|
|2016 - 2017||H. Lu||American Studies|
|1997 - 1998||F. Morgan||Mathematics|
|1997 - 1998||T. F. Ruiz||History|
|1998 - 1999||A. Szegedy-Maszak||Classics|
|1998 - 1999||Z. Warhaft||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|1999 - 2000||J. Bell Burnell||Physics|
|1999 - 2000||B. W. Kernighan||Computer Science|
|2000 - 2001||G. E. van der Vink||Geosciences|
|2001 - 2002||R. W. Hanson||Molecular Biology|
Established by the William R. Kenan, Jr. Charitable Trust to support a distinguished teaching professor in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.
|2002 - 2003||C. Rogers||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2003 - 2004||E. V. Denardo||Operations Research and Financial Engineering|
|2004 - 2005||James Smith||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|2004 - 2005||E. V. Denardo||Operations Research and Financial Engineering|
|2006 - 2007||R. D. De Veaux||Operations Research and Financial Engineering|
|2006 - 2007||E. J. Coyle||Electrical Engineering|
|2007 - 2008||U. V. Vazirani||Computer Science|
|2009 - 2010||J. B. Grotberg||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2010 - 2011||J. B. Khurgin||Electrical Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2011 - 2012||C. M. Clark||Computer Science and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2012 - 2013||D. Giammar||Civil and Environmental Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2012 - 2013||F. A. Morrison||Chemical and Biological Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2013 - 2014||W. K. George, Jr.||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2013 - 2014||D. A. Nolan||Operations Research and Financial Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2014 - 2015||I. Paya-Zaforteza||Civil and Environmental Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2015 - 2016||E.S. Fisher||Chemical and Biological Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
|2016 - 2017||E.S. Fisher||Chemical and Biological Engineering and Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education|
The gift of A. Barton Hepburn. [Formerly "A. Barton Hepburn Professorship of Organic Chemistry" from 1919-2011.]
|1920 - 1937||L. Jones|
|1940 - 1965||E. S. Wallis|
|1966 - 1997||E. C. Taylor|
|2000 - 2004||D. E. Kanne|
|2006 - 2011||D. W. C. MacMillan|
|2012 - 2016||G. K-L. Chan|
Established from a bequest from the estate of Agate Brown Collord and her husband, George L. Collord, Class of 1891.
|1977 - 2003||J. F. Wilson|
|2007 - 2009||L. E. Schmidt|
|2014 -||J. L. Weisenfeld|
The gift of Samuel B. Dod, Class of 1857, in memory of his father, Albert Baldwin Dod, Class of 1822, Professor of Mathematics, 1830-1845.
|1869 - 1898||J. T. Duffield|
|1898 - 1928||H. B. Fine|
|1929 - 1945||L. P. Eisenhart|
|1948 - 1953||E. Artin|
|1954 - 1974||A. W. Tucker|
|1975 - 2012||E. M. Stein|
|2016 -||P. D. Seymour|
Established by a gift from Albert G. Blanke, Jr., Class of 1932, and Mrs. Albert G. Blanke, Jr.
|1992 - 1997||A. Navrotsky|
|1997 -||F. Morel|
Two professorships endowed by the Milbank Memorial Fund, in memory of Albert G. Milbank, Class of 1896, Trustee of the University, 1927-1944.
|1951 - 1961||F. S. Dunn|
|1965 - 2001||R. A. Falk|
|2001 -||Μ. Oppenheimer||Woodrow Wilson School and Geosciences|
|2004 -||G. J. Ikenberry||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
The gift of the Carnegie Corporation and other donors in honor of Andrew Fleming West, Class of 1874, Giger Professor of Latin, 1883-1928, and Dean of the Graduate School, 1901-1928.
|1938 - 1939||D. L. Page|
|1939 - 1940||I. M. Linforth|
|1940 - 1941||J. V. A. Fine|
|1941 - 1943||H. W. Prescott|
|1943 - 1949||A. C. Johnson|
|1949 - 1962||W. J. Oates|
|1962 - 1978||S. D. Atkins|
|1978 - 1989||W. R. Connor|
|1993 - 1995||A. Laks|
|2000 - 2002||F. Graf|
|2003 -||B. D. Shaw|
Established from the bequest of Helen Annan Scribner in memory of her father James E. Annan, Class of 1855.
|2005 - 2010||S. A. Stewart|
|2011 -||J. S. Dolan||English and Lewis Center for the Arts|
Established by the Merck Company Foundation to honor Arthur Allan Patchett '51 and his distinguished career at the Merck Research Laboratories.
|2003 -||E. J. Sorensen|
The gift of Arthur LeGrand Doty, Class of 1892.
|1938 - 1958||C. H. Willis|
|1963 - 1981||W. C. Johnson|
|1981 - 1986||B. W. Arden|
|1986 - 2010||D. Tsui|
|2013 -||M. Chiang|
Established by a challenge grant from the government of Turkey and made possible by gifts from private and corporate donors honoring the legacy of the founder and the first president of the Turkish Republic.
|1992 - 1993||B. Lewis||Near Eastern Studies (honorary)|
|1993 - 2013||H. Lowry||Near Eastern Studies|
Established in honor of B. C. Forbes, founder of Forbes Magazine, by the Forbes Foundation, his son, Malcolm S. Forbes, Class of 1941, and his grandsons, Malcolm S. Forbes, Jr., Class of 1970, and Christopher Forbes, Class of 1972.
|1984 - 2005||M. N. Danielson|
|2004 -||H. Milner||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
Established by gifts from members of the Dodge family and other related families in honor of Bayard Dodge, Class of 1909, twin brother of Cleveland E. Dodge, Class of 1909.
|1975 - 1986||C. Issawi|
|1993 - 1999||A. Hammoudi|
|2007 -||H. Modarressi|
The gift of John I. Blair, Trustee of Princeton, 1866-1899.
|1864 - 1884||A. Guyot|
|1886 - 1930||W. B. Scott|
|1933 - 1934||A. H. Phillips|
|1937 - 1956||W. T. Thom, Jr.|
|1958 - 1959||A. F. Buddington|
|1964 - 1969||H. H. Hess|
|1970 - 1984||A. G. Fischer|
|1988 - 2007||J. Suppe|
|2008 -||J. Tromp|
The gift of the Class of 1897, in memory of Charles August Young, Professor of Astronomy, 1877-1905.
|1927 - 1947||H. N. Russell|
|1952 - 1982||L. Spitzer, Jr.|
|1982 - 2002||J. P. Ostriker|
|2002 - 2007||S. D. Tremaine|
|2007 -||D. N. Spergel|
Created by the Board of Trustees in honor of Charles Robertson, Class of 1926, and his wife Marie, to commemorate their extraordinary gift to the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
|1995 - 1999||Κ. S. Rogoff|
|1999 - 2009||B. H. Singer|
|2009 - 2015||T. J. Trussell|
|2015 -||R. Rogerson|
Established by the gift of C. Barnwell Straut, Class of 1947, in honor of his father.
|1992 - 1994||E. L. Keeley|
|1995 - 2013||M. Wood||English and Comparative Literature|
|2015 -||M. A. DiBattista||English and Comparative Literature|
Established through a bequest of Charles C. Fitzmorris, Class of 1933.
|2002 - 2009||K. Li|
|2011 -||S. Arora|
Established by an anonymous donor in memory of Charles Phelps Smyth '16 * 17.
|2000 -||H. A. Rabitz|
Established by Mr. and Mrs. Fayez Sarofim and the Brown Foundation, Ιnc., in honor of Christopher Binyon Sarofim '86.
|1988 - 2007||J. Wilmerding|
The gift of the Class of 1877.
|1909 - 1933||C. F. W. McClure|
|1937 - 1960||E. G. Butler|
|1963 - 1969||C. S. Pittendrigh|
|1969 - 1975||V. G. Dethier|
|1975 - 1988||R. M. May|
|1988 - 1989||J. Terborgh|
|1989 - 2008||Ρ. R. Grant|
|2008 -||D. I. Rubenstein|
The gift of the Class of 1900.
|1929 - 1946||C. Gauss|
|1956 - 1968||E. B. O. Borgerhoff|
|1969 - 2001||T. J. Ziolkowski|
|2009 -||M. W. Jennings|
The gift of the Class of 1909.
|1938 - 1962||A. G. Shenstone|
|1963 - 1969||W. Bleakney|
|1969 - 1976||V. L. Fitch|
|1978 - 1987||G. T. Reynolds|
|1988 - 1991||W. Happer|
|1992 -||A. J. S. Smith|
|2015 -||A. Yazdani|
Gift of the Class of 1913.
|1930 - 1956||E. B. Smith|
|1956 - 1960||M. G. Salvadori|
|1961 - 1967||L. I. Κahn|
|1967 - 1970||T. Maldonado|
|1970 - 1971||J. R. Passonneau|
|1971 - 1975||R. Gutman|
|1990 - 1991||A. H. Colquhoun|
|1995 -||M. I. Gandelsonas|
The gift of the Class of 1913.
|1938 - 1970||O. Morgenstern|
|1970 - 1979||A. Rees|
|1979 - 2001||G. C. Chow|
|2012 -||B. E. Honoré|
Established by the Class of 1921 on the occasion of its 55th Reunion.
|1978 - 1986||S. N. Κatz|
|1992 -||H. Hartog|
The anonymous gift of a member of the Class of 1950.
|1986 - 1989||W. R. Schowalter||Chemical Engineering|
|1989 - 1998||R. Jackson||Chemical Engineering|
|1998 -||P. G. Debenedetti||Chemical and Biological Engineering|
Established by gifts from members of the Dodge family and other related families in honor of Cleveland E. Dodge, Class of 1909, twin brother of Bayard Dodge, Class of 1909.
|1974 - 1986||B. Lewis|
|1986 - 2007||M. A. Cook|
|2007 - 2013||A. P. Hamori|
The gift of Thomas D. Jones, Class of 1876, in memory of Cyrus Fogg Brackett, Henry Professor of Physics, 1873-1909.
|1927 - 1930||K. Compton|
|1931 - 1950||R. W. Ladenburg|
|1953 - 1955||W. Bleakney|
|1955 - 1957||D. R. Hamilton|
|1957 - 1975||R. H. Dicke|
|1976 - 1982||V. L. Fitch|
|1982 - 2002||D. T. Wilkinson|
|2003 - 2014||W. Happer|
|2014 - 2015||L. A. Page, Jr.|
|2015 -||D. A. Huse|
Established by a gift from an anonymous donor.
|1999 -||S. F. Teiser|
Established with funds from the bequest of Damon B. Pfeiffer, Class of 1902.
|1968 - 1972||N. Sueoka|
|1975 - 1976||B. Alberts|
|1977 - 2013||J. R. Fresco|
|2016 -||E. R. Gavis|
The gift of Miss Gwethalyn Jones in memory of her father, David B. Jones, Class of 1876, trustee of the University, 1901-1908.
|1927 - 1958||H. S. Taylor|
|1958 - 1963||C. P. Smyth|
|1963 - 1983||W. Kauzmann|
|1983 - 2007||M. Jones|
|2008 -||A. Selloni|
The gift of an anonymous donor.
|1972 - 2002||P. C. Bunnell|
|2002 -||E. A. McCauley|
Established to recognize the distinguished career in international service of David K. E. Bruce, Class of 1919.
|1988 - 2002||R. Ullman|
|2002 -||A. Kohli||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
Established by a gift from Tudor Investment Corporation.
|2013 - 2015||R. E. Schapire|
|2016 -||T. A. Funkhouser|
Established by a bequest of David Magie '97 to endow a professorship of Greek and Roman History in the Department of Classics.
|1987 - 1988||E. Gruen||Visiting Professor|
|1989 - 1990||B. Shaw||Visiting Professor|
|1991 - 1992||G. Clemente||Visiting Professor|
|1991 - 1992||G. Fowden||Visiting Professor|
|1992 - 1993||G. Fowden||Visiting Professor|
|1993 - 2007||J. Ober|
|2009 -||N. Luraghi|
The gift of Maria Stockton Dayton in memory of her husband, William Lewis Dayton, Jr., Class of 1858, and her father, Major General Robert Field Stockton, Class of 1851.
|1949 - 1973||J. R. Strayer|
|1969 - 1980||C. E. Schorske|
|1973 - 1987||C. C. Gillispie|
|1981 - 1993||A. J. Mayer|
|1998 - 2005||R. S. Wilentz|
|2004 -||W. C. Jordan|
|2005 -||G. Prakash|
The gift of Mrs. William Church Osborn.
|1915 - 1932||D. C. Munro|
|1933 - 1952||W. P. Hall|
|1952 - 1963||R. R. Palmer|
|1963 - 1990||L. Stone|
|1993 - 2000||A. T. Grafton|
|2000 - 2010||C. Palmer|
|2007 - 2011||S. M. Garon||History and East Asian Studies|
|2011 -||D. N. Cannadine|
Established in memory of Donald E. Stokes, Class of 1951, to recognize his distinguished scholarship and teaching and his long and effective leadership of the Woodrow Wilson School from 1974-1992.
|1999 - 2012||L. M. Bartels|
|2012 -||B. Canes-Wrone|
Established by Donald R. Dixon '69 and Elizabeth W. Dixon to support a distinguished professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
|2009 -||H. A. Stone|
The gift of Howard Crosby Warren, Class of 1889, founder of the Department of Psychology and its first chairman, in memory of his father.
|1946 - 1950||E. G. Wever|
|1957 - 1967||J. L. Kennedy|
|1969 - 1987||L. J. Kamin|
|1989 - 2012||J. M. Darley||Psychology and Woodrow Wilson School|
|2012 -||E. Gould||Psychology and Princeton Neuroscience Institute|
Established through a bequest from Duncan C. Dusenbury in memory of his brothers, William A. Dusenbury and Edgar T. Dusenbury.
|2009 -||D. M. Sigman|
Established in honor of Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States, 1953-1961, by gifts from James H. Lemon, Class of 1925, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. Robertson, Class of 1926.
|1979 - 1998||R. G. Gilpin, Jr.|
|1998 - 2016||A. S. Deaton|
Established by a gift from Edward D. Taylor H10, A. Barton Hepburn Professor of Organic Chemistry, Emeritus.
The gift of George Κ. Edwards, Class of 1889.
|1910 - 1925||R. M. McElroy|
|1925 - 1947||T. J. Wertenbaker|
|1950 - 1965||W. F. Craven|
|1965 - 1976||A. S. Link|
|1982 - 1991||J. M. McPherson|
|1991 - 2005||N. I. Painter|
|2005 - 2007||M. C. Stansell|
Created by the Board of Trustees in honor of Edwin Grant Conklin, Professor of Biology from 1908-1933.
|1933 - 1956||W. W. Swingle|
|1956 - 1969||G. Fankhauser|
|1969 - 1977||F. H. Johnson|
|1984 - 2013||E. C. Cox|
|2016 -||Z. Gitai|
The gift of Emory L. Ford, Class of 1896.
|1916 - 1932||C. C. Marden|
|1937 - 1939||F. C. Tarr|
|1940 - 1953||A. Castro|
|1954 - 1955||S. de Madariaga|
|1956 - 1975||R. S. Willis|
|1980 - 1983||A. K. Forcione|
|1983 - 1986||S. Molloy|
|1999 - 2010||A. Dίaz-Quiñones|
|2014 -||M. G. Nouzielles|
Given by the residuary legatees of the Estate of John C. Green, in honor of Charles Ewing, Class of 1798, Trustee of the College, 1820-1832, and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1824-1832.
|1877 - 1902||S. S. Orris|
|1910 - 1936||E. Y. Robbins|
|1938 - 1940||W. K. Prentice|
|1946 - 1949||W. J. Oates|
|1949 - 1972||J. V. A. Fine|
|1975 - 1992||D. J. Furley|
|1992 - 2010||F. I. Zeitlin|
|2010 -||A. L. Ford|
Established with funds from the bequests of Edwin F. Ferris of the Class of 1899, and his widow, M. E. Cornelia Ferris.
|1964 - 1973||I. Dilliard|
|1973 - 1974||L. L. King|
|1974 - 1975||J. A. McPhee|
|1975 - 1976||H. Johnson|
|1975 - 1976||J. A. McPhee|
|1976 - 1977||V. S. Navasky|
|1976 - 1977||R. K. Massie|
|1977 - 1978||D. Oberdorfer|
|1977 - 1978||J. A. McPhee|
|1978 - 1979||H. Johnson|
|1978 - 1979||J. A. McPhee|
|1979 - 1980||B. Clark|
|1979 - 1980||J. Bernstein|
|1979 - 1980||G. Wolff|
|1980 - 1981||R. Donovan|
|1980 - 1981||J. A. McPhee|
|1981 - 1982||G. Emerson|
|1981 - 1982||J. Bernstein|
|1981 - 1982||J. A. McPhee|
|1982 - 1983||D. Oberdorfer|
|1982 - 1983||L. Franks|
|1983 - 1984||R. G. Eder|
|1983 - 1984||W. Guzzardi|
|1983 - 1984||J. A. McPhee|
|1984 - 1985||R. Steel|
|1984 - 1985||J. A. McPhee|
|1985 - 1986||G. Emerson|
|1985 - 1986||R. K. Massie|
|1985 - 1986||F. du Plessix Gray|
|1986 - 1987||D. Oberdorfer|
|1986 - 1987||J. A. McPhee|
|1987 - 1988||J. Herbers|
|1987 - 1988||J. A. McPhee|
|1988 - 1989||J. Schell|
|1988 - 1989||J. Kramer|
|1989 - 1990||P. Taylor|
|1989 - 1990||J. A. McPhee|
|1990 - 1991||J. A. McPhee|
|1990 - 1991||D. Shipler|
|1991 - 1992||J. Darnton|
|1991 - 1992||J. Treglown|
|1991 - 1992||C. Kaiser|
|1991 - 1992||G. Wolff|
|1992 - 1993||R. Mudd|
|1992 - 1993||G. Emerson|
|1992 - 1993||J. A. McPhee|
|1993 - 1994||N. R. Gibbs|
|1993 - 1994||J. A. McPhee|
|1993 - 1994||R. Mudd|
|1994 - 1995||B. Crossette|
|1994 - 1995||J. Hoagland|
|1994 - 1995||D. Remnick|
|1995 - 1996||R. Eder|
|1995 - 1996||J. A. McPhee|
|1995 - 1996||P. Taylor|
|1995 - 1996||M. Viorst|
|1996 - 1997||J. Alter|
|1996 - 1997||C. Grimes|
|1996 - 1997||G. Kolata|
|1996 - 1997||J. A. McPhee|
|1996 - 1997||I. Wilkerson|
|1997 - 1998||L. Cockburn|
|1997 - 1998||J. A. McPhee|
|1997 - 1998||J. Strouse|
|1997 - 1998||L. Weschler|
|1997 - 1998||C. Wren|
|1998 - 1999||N. Hentoff|
|1998 - 1999||J. A. McPhee|
|1998 - 1999||J. Sanders|
|1998 - 1999||A. Steinbech|
|1998 - 1999||S. Schmemann|
|1998 - 1999||R. Stengel|
|1999 - 2000||E. Bronner|
|1999 - 2000||M. McCray|
|1999 - 2000||J. A. McPhee|
|1999 - 2000||M. K. Mills|
|2000 - 2001||J. Abramson|
|2000 - 2001||R. Begleiter|
|2000 - 2001||J. Darling|
|2000 - 2001||J. A. McPhee|
|2000 - 2001||M. A. Ressa|
|2000 - 2001||M. T. Vitez|
|2001 - 2002||M. Dobbs|
|2001 - 2002||B. Gellman|
|2001 - 2002||J. A. McPhee|
|2001 - 2002||R. Oster Sachs|
|2001 - 2002||A. Wolff|
|2002 - 2003||J. A. McPhee|
|2002 - 2003||J. Achenbach|
|2002 - 2003||D. Liu|
|2002 - 2003||C. Sims|
|2002 - 2003||P. Godwin|
|2003 - 2004||J. Dwyer|
|2003 - 2004||C. Hedges|
|2003 - 2004||E. Thomas|
|2003 - 2004||M. Fisher|
|2003 - 2004||J. Gerth|
|2003 - 2004||J. A. McPhee|
|2004 - 2005||J. A. McPhee|
|2004 - 2005||J. Bartholet|
|2004 - 2005||G. M. Gaul|
|2004 - 2005||E. F. Lounsberry|
|2004 - 2005||J. Stein|
|2004 - 2005||R. Eder|
|2004 - 2005||R. Gutman|
|2004 - 2005||D. Maraniss|
|2005 - 2006||F. Bondy|
|2005 - 2006||R. Cohen|
|2005 - 2006||K. Carpenter|
|2005 - 2006||C. Lewis|
|2005 - 2006||J. A. McPhee|
|2005 - 2006||P. Hirsch|
|2005 - 2006||G. Moriba-Meadows|
|2005 - 2006||F. Taubman|
|2006 - 2007||W. Bogdanich|
|2006 - 2007||L. Cohen|
|2006 - 2007||B. Demick|
|2006 - 2007||M. Duffy|
|2006 - 2007||N. Gibbs|
|2006 - 2007||G. Marcus|
|2006 - 2007||J. A. McPhee|
|2006 - 2007||M. Mendoza|
|2006 - 2007||T. R. Reid|
|2006 - 2007||R. Tang|
|2007 - 2014||E. Thomas|
|2007 - 2008||R. Christgau|
|2007 - 2008||C. Duff|
|2007 - 2008||J. Grimaldi|
|2007 - 2008||D. Kuttab|
|2007 - 2008||C. Lane|
|2007 - 2008||J. A. McPhee|
|2008 - 2009||T. Cambanis|
|2008 - 2009||B. Gellman|
|2008 - 2009||J. P. Kelly|
|2008 - 2009||K. Kiely|
|2008 - 2009||P. Maass|
|2008 - 2009||J. A. McPhee|
|2008 - 2009||C. Pierpont|
|2008 - 2009||E. Rosenthal|
|2009 - 2010||M. Gottlieb|
|2009 - 2010||D. Grech|
|2009 - 2010||W. Hamilton|
|2009 - 2010||A. Knight|
|2009 - 2010||J. Mayer|
|2009 - 2010||R. Mondello|
|2009 - 2010||T. Weber|
|2009 - 2010||J. Willse|
|2009 - 2010||J. A. McPhee|
|2010 - 2011||J. A. McPhee|
|2010 - 2011||R. Bernstein|
|2010 - 2011||J. Richman|
|2010 - 2011||E. Sciolino|
|2010 - 2011||J. B. Steele|
|2010 - 2011||L. J. Wertheim|
|2011 - 2012||J. A. McPhee|
|2011 - 2012||D. Klaidman|
|2011 - 2012||L. Pitts, Jr.|
|2011 - 2012||A. Stanley|
|2011 - 2012||D. Amos|
|2011 - 2012||J. Stephens|
|2012 - 2013||J. Becker|
|2012 - 2013||O. Bennett-Jones|
|2012 - 2013||D. B. Henriques|
|2013 - 2014||J. A. McPhee|
|2013 - 2014||S. D. Drummond|
|2013 - 2014||C. A. Giacomo|
|2013 - 2014||W. M. McGraw|
|2013 - 2014||A. E. Nutt|
|2013 - 2014||D. Kocieniewski|
|2013 - 2014||K. B. Richburg|
Established through the bequest of Forrest G. Hamrick, Class of 1931.
|1989 - 1998||S. Orszag||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|1998 -||R. B. Lee||Electrical Engineering|
Established by a gift from Frederick D. Petrie '30 to provide support in the field of conservation biology, ecology, and global environment.
|2000 -||S. W. Pacala|
Established by the gift of Frederick H. Schultz, Class of 1951, to further the study of international economic policy.
|1988 - 1997||P. Volcker|
|2001 - 2002||F. D. Barton|
|2002 - 2003||W. G. Βarrοn|
|2003 - 2004||W. Shorris|
|2004 - 2005||D. Tarullo|
|2005 - 2006||J. Klein|
|2006 - 2007||J. Fischer|
|2007 - 2008||W. Frist|
|2008 - 2009||F. Vendrell|
Established by John W. Garrett, Class of 1895, in memory of his brother, Horatio W. Garrett, also Class of 1895, and later supplemented by members of the Garrett family in memory of John and a third brother, Robert, Class of 1897.
|1953 - 1969||T. C. Young|
|1970 - 1993||L. C. Brown|
|2009 -||M. S. Hanioglu|
Created by the Board of Trustees in recognition of a gift from George Dutton '27.
|1994 - 2008||R. Lerner|
|2008 -||S. T. Allen|
Established from the George Henry Davis 1886 and Shelby Cullom Davis 1930 Fund for the support of the Department of History.
|1964 - 1973||W. F. Craven|
|1976 - 1991||A. S. Link|
|1991 - 2004||J. M. McPherson|
|2005 - 2007||R. S. Wilentz|
|2011 -||R. S. Wilentz|
Established with funds accumulated from the gift in 1872 of George J. Magee, Class of 1860, for the purpose of improving the standards of the engineering profession.
|1970 - 1996||W. E. Bonini|
|1997 - 2008||G. Nolet|
|2009 -||J. L. Sarmiento|
The gift of George M. Moffett, Class of 1904.
|1952 - 1965||A. K. Ρarpart|
|1966 - 1990||J. T. Bonner|
|1992 - 2016||S. Levin|
|2016 -||L. O. Hedin|
Established from a bequest of Marion Lewis Lothrop in honor of her husband George Van Ness Lothrop '08 *10.
|2003 - 2005||H. V. Poor||Electrical Engineering|
|2005 -||S. Malik||Electrical Engineering|
The gift of George Musgrave Giger, Class of 1841, Professor of Greek and Latin, 1847-1865.
|1883 - 1928||A. F. West|
|1940 - 1971||G. E. Duckworth|
|1981 - 1985||J. A. Hanson|
|1988 - 1999||R. E. Fantham|
|2000 -||D. C. Feeney|
Established by 600 friends of Gordon S. Rentschler, Class of 1907, Charter Trustee of the University, 1926-1948, to provide undergraduate students with "a deeper and richer understanding of the problems and opportunities of human organization in a free society."
|1950 - 1969||L. V. Chandler|
|1969 - 1981||B. G. Malkiel|
|1982 -||A. Blinder|
Gift of Gordon Υ. S. Wu, Class of 1958.
|1981 - 1994||D. Twitchett|
|1994 - 2001||Ying Shih Yü|
|2002 -||W. J. Peterson|
|2011 -||B. A. Elman|
Established through a gift of Gordon Y S. Wu, Class of 1958.
|1996 - 2006||D. B. Billington||Civil Engineering|
|1998 - 2002||A. G. Evans||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2008 -||P. J. Ramadge||Electrical Engineering|
|2012 -||J. L. Rexford||Computer Science|
Originally the Class of 1920 Professorship in Economics and Banking, this professorship was established anonymously in 1970 by a gift from Harold H. Helm, Class of 1920, in honor of his Class on the occasion of their fiftieth Reunion. It was renamed in Harold Helm's honor after his death in 1985.
|1971 - 1996||S. M. Goldfeld|
|1998 - 2004||M. D. Woodford|
|2004 - 2012||C. A. Sims|
|2012 -||N. Kiyotaki|
Established through the gifts of trustees, alumni, and friends, in honor of Harold T. Shapiro, Graduate Class of 1964, and his tenure as Princeton's 18th president, 1987-2001.
|2002 - 2003||F. R. Gul|
|2004 - 2005||P. Krusell|
|2005 - 2006||S. Morris|
|2012 -||S. J. Redding|
Established by a gift of Harold W. McGraw, Jr., Class of 1940. Initially a series of seminars in writing and publishing (Harold W. McGraw Jr. Seminars in Writing and Publishing 1984 1992), later endowed as a professorship.
|1984 - 1985||J. N. Wilford|
|1985 - 1986||H. E. Salisbury|
|1986 - 1987||W. Greider|
|1987 - 1988||W. Sullivan|
|1988 - 1989||S. S. Taylor, Jr.|
|1989 - 1990||J. Gleick|
|1990 - 1991||R. Gilman|
|1991 - 1992||D. Tannen|
|1992 - 1993||S. Freedman|
|1993 - 1994||K. E. Meyer|
|1994 - 1995||L. Y. Jones|
|1995 - 1996||M. Browne|
|1996 - 1997||T. Rafferty|
|1997 - 1998||J. Weiner|
|1998 - 1999||A. Steinbach|
|1999 - 2000||M. Levitas|
|2000 - 2001||P. Span|
|2001 - 2002||J. P. Willse|
|2004 - 2005||J. Eilperin|
|2005 - 2006||M. Jefferson|
|2005 - 2006||E. Kendall|
|2006 - 2007||J. Keller|
|2007 - 2008||A. S. Berg|
|2008 - 2009||A. Ross|
|2009 - 2010||P. Salopek|
|2010 - 2011||A. V. Hull|
|2011 - 2012||J. M. Gorman|
|2012 - 2013||A. Guillermoprieto|
|2013 - 2014||F. A. Bruni, Jr.|
Given by Mary S. Paine, on behalf of her deceased husband, Silas H. Paine, and herself, in memory of their son, Harrington Spear Paine, Class of 1898.
|1940 - 1954||G. F. Thomas|
|1957 - 1982||R. P. Ramsey|
|1982 -||E. H. Pagels|
Established by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. James A. Elkins, Jr., in memory of her father, Harry C. Wiess, Class of 1909, Trustee of the University, 1945-48.
|1984 - 1999||A. J. Levine|
|2000 -||V. A. Zakian|
The gift of Thomas D. Jones, Class of 1876, in honor of Dean Fine, Class of 1880, Dod Professor of Mathematics, 1898-1928.
|1926 - 1932||O. Veblen|
|1933 - 1953||S. Lefschetz|
|1953 - 1959||E. Artin|
|1959 - 1968||S. Bochner|
|1968 - 1971||N. E. Steenrod|
|1972 - 1978||D. C. Spencer|
|1978 - 1986||K. Iwasawa|
|1986 - 1987||W. P. Thurston|
|1987 - 1988||G. Faltings|
|1988 - 1989||G. Shimura|
|1989 - 1990||E. Stein|
|1990 - 1991||A. J. Wiles|
|1991 - 1992||S. Klainerman|
|1992 - 1993||C. Fefferman|
|1993 - 1994||J. Mather|
|1994 - 1995||S. B. Kochen|
|1995 - 1996||P. C. Sarnak|
|1996 - 1997||F. J. Almgren|
|1997 - 1998||N. M. Katz|
|1998 - 1999||C. L. Fefferman|
|1999 - 2000||N. M. Katz|
|1999 - 2000||P. D. Seymour|
|2001 - 2002||S. B. Kochen|
|2001 - 2002||J. Κοllár|
|2001 - 2002||J. J. Kohn|
|2003 - 2004||D. Gabai|
|2004 - 2005||S-Y. A. Chang|
|2004 - 2005||Z. Szabo|
|2005 - 2006||P. C-P. Yang|
|2005 - 2006||E. M. Stein|
|2006 - 2007||N. M. Katz|
|2006 - 2007||I. C. Daubechies|
|2007 - 2008||E. B. Lindenstrauss|
|2007 - 2008||Z. Sazbó|
|2008 - 2009||János Kollár|
|2008 - 2009||Manjul Bhargava|
|2009 - 2010||C. L. Fefferman|
|2009 - 2010||G. Tian|
|2010 - 2011||A. J. Wiles|
|2010 - 2011||I. Y. Rodnianski|
|2011 - 2012||D. Gabai|
|2011 - 2012||Z. Sazbó|
|2012 - 2013||C. M. Skinner|
|2013 - 2014||P. D. Seymour|
|2013 - 2014||S-Y. A. Chang|
|2014 - 2015||S-W. Zhang|
|2014 - 2015||S. M. Morel|
|2015 - 2016||Y. G. Sinai|
|2015 - 2016||F. C. S. C. Marques|
|2016 - 2017||A. Naor|
|2016 - 2017||A. Singer|
The gift of Arthur H. Lea, in memory of his father, Henry Charles Lea, LL.D. 1896.
|1939 - 1941||R. J. Sontag|
|1942 - 1949||J. R. Strayer|
|1949 - 1964||E. H. Harbison|
|1966 - 1981||J. Blum|
|1981 - 1996||N. Z. Davis|
|1998 - 2013||D. T. Rodgers|
|2014 -||J. I. Adelman|
By anonymous gift, in honor of Henry Fairfield Osborn, Class of 1877, member of the Princeton Faculty, 1880-1891, and president of the American Museum of Natural History, 1908-1932.
|1927 - 1933||E. G. Conklin|
|1933 - 1956||E. N. Harvey|
|1956 - 1959||W. W. Swingle|
|1960 - 1968||E. G. Butler|
|1968 - 1972||R. H. MacArthur|
|1975 - 2005||M. S. Steinberg|
|2007 -||G. M. Schupbach|
Established by gifts from Henry L. Hiliman, Class of 1941, and the Hillman Foundation, Inc. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
|1993 - 2003||M. Weigert|
|2003 -||D. W. Τank|
|2007 -||L. W. Enquist|
The gift of Silas Holmes, supplemented in 1880 by additional gift of Robert L. Stuart.
|1857 - 1860||M. B. Hope|
|1860 - 1870||J. H. McIlvaine|
|1870 - 1871||J. C. Welling|
|1872 - 1875||J. S. Hart|
|1875 - 1899||J. O. Murray|
|1899 - 1900||B. Perry|
|1900 - 1926||G. M. Harper|
|1933 - 1937||C. G. Osgood|
|1938 - 1946||G. H. Gerould|
|1952 - 1967||W. Thorp|
|1968 - 1973||L. R. Thompson|
|1973 - 1977||E. D. H. Johnson|
|1977 - 1994||A. W. Litz, Jr.|
|1995 -||L. C. Mitchell|
Established in recognition of gifts from Howard A. Prior, Class of 1928, and his family.
|1986 - 2001||S. M. Tilghman|
|2001 - 2008||J. J. Hopfield|
|2012 -||N. Wingreen|
The gift of sundry contributors in memory of Howard Crosby Butler, Class of 1892, Professor of Art and Archaeology, 1905-1919, Professor of the History of Architecture, 1919-1922, founder of the School of Architecture, and first Master in Residence of the Graduate College.
|1931 - 1956||E. B. Smith|
|1959 - 1967||R. Stillwell|
|1968 - 1970||D. D. Egbert|
|1970 - 1988||D. R. Coffin|
|1996 - 2013||J. A. Pinto|
Established by an anonymous donor in honor of the former dean of the Graduate School.
|1964 - 1988||K. M. Mislow|
|1991 -||J. Groves|
Given through a bequest by Miss Elizabeth Hughes in memory of her parents, Edward Smallwood Hughes, Class of 1882, and Minerva Rogers Hughes.
|1976 - 1995||R. E. Quandt|
|1995 -||H. S. Farber|
Established by the International Business Machines Corporation.
|1968 - 1980||H. H. Eckstein|
|1982 - 1984||R. C. Tucker|
|1987 -||E. N. Suleiman|
Endowed by the Ira W. DeCamp Foundation to support a professorship in the area of bioethics associated with the University Center for Human Values.
|1999 -||P. Singer|
Created by the Board of Trustees in honor of Jacob Viner, Walker Professor of Economics and International Finance.
|1988 - 1992||W. H. Branson|
|1992 -||G. M. Grossman|
Established by a gift from his wife and his immediate family in honor of James A. Elkins, Jr., Class of 1941, Trustee of the University, 1971-1975.
|1984 -||T. E. Shenk|
Created by the Board of Trustees in honor of James Madison, Class of 1771.
|1969 - 1982||W. A. Lewis|
|1984 -||U. E. Reinhardt|
Established from a bequest from the estate of Jean Labatut, distinguished professor of Architecture at Princeton, 1928-1967.
|1990 - 1991||Rodolfo Machado|
|1991 - 1992||Fritz Neumeyer|
|1992 - 1993||Juan Navarro Baldeweg|
|1993 - 1994||Enric Miralles|
|1994 - 1995||Peter Eisenman|
|1995 - 1996||Antoine Grumbach|
|1996 - 1997||Nasrine Seraji|
Established by the Battelle Memorial Institute to honor former Princeton faculty member and Battelle trustee John Archibald Wheeler on the occasion of his 90th birthday.
|2003 -||W. Bialek|
Established by the family and admirers of John Foster Dulles, Class of 1908, to recognize his distinguished service in world affairs.
|1992 - 2000||W. H. Branson|
|2001 - 2009||T. J. Trussell|
The gift of John L. Weinberg, Class of 1947.
|1985 - 1989||S. J. Grossman|
|1991 - 1995||B. D. Bernheim|
|1995 -||H. S. Rosen|
Established by John L. Weinberg, Class of 1947, and Goldman Sachs & Co., in honor of Mr. Weinberg's retirement as chairman and senior partner, to bring distinguished visitors in the areas of economics and public policy to the Woodrow Wilson School's Center of Domestic and Comparative Policy Studies.
|1993 - 1994||I. Garfinkel|
|1994 - 1995||L. Mead|
|1995 - 1997||J. J. Serra-Puche|
|1996 - 1997||D. Windlesham|
|1998 - 1999||T. Kato|
|1999 - 2000||F. P. Hitz|
|2000 - 2001||R. V. Luna|
|2001 - 2002||J. F. Matlock, Jr.|
|2003 - 2004||W. G. Barron, Jr.|
|2004 - 2005||C. Kojm|
|2005 - 2006||P. Goldmark|
|2005 - 2006||C. Kojm|
|2006 - 2007||E. Lahera|
|2006 - 2007||P. Goldmark|
|2006 - 2007||J. Leach|
|2007 - 2008||S. Ahmed|
|2008 - 2009||J. A. Leach|
|2008 - 2009||S. N. Simon|
|2008 - 2013||H. Price|
|2009 - 2011||J. B. Bolten|
|2010 - 2011||J. Corzine|
|2012 - 2013||J. Romalis|
|2014 - 2015||M. B. Coven|
The gift of Joseph Douglas Green, Class of 1895, augmented later by contributions from other members of the Class of 1895.
|1938 - 1952||D. A. McCabe|
|1953 - 1957||S. E. Howard|
|1958 - 1968||R. A. Lester|
|1968 - 1992||W. J. Baumol|
|1995 -||O. C. Ashenfelter|
The gift of John C. Green in honor of Joseph Henry, Professor of Natural Philosophy, 1832-1848.
|1873 - 1909||C. F. Brackett|
|1910 - 1929||W. F. Magie|
|1933 - 1943||E. P. Adams|
|1946 - 1966||H. D. Smyth|
|1966 - 1976||J. A. Wheeler|
|1977 - 1978||M. L. Goldberger|
|1978 - 1996||P. W. Anderson|
|1999 -||A. M. Polyakov|
Given by the residuary legatees of the Estate of John C. Green, in honor of his friend and associate, Robert Lenox Kennedy.
|1877 - 1905||W. A. Packard|
|1910 - 1924||F. F. Abbott|
|1933 - 1941||D. R. Stuart|
|1946 - 1964||P. R. Coleman-Norton|
|1971 - 1976||F. C. Bourne|
|1977 - 1995||T. J. Luce, Jr.|
|1997 -||R. A. Kaster|
Established by the Zilkha Foundation in memory of Khedouri A. Zilkha.
|1984 - 2008||A. L. Udovitch|
|2009 - 2013||M. R. Cohen|
|2015 -||M. Rustow||Near Eastern Studies and History|
The gift of two anonymous donors in honor of Knox Taylor, Class of 1895, Trustee of the University, 1918-1922.
|1928 - 1959||P. MacClintock|
|1964 - 1987||S. Judson|
|1988 - 2004||W. J. Morgan|
|2005 -||S. G. H. Philander|
Created through a fund established by Mr. Fairchild in 1980 and by a subsequent gift in his memory from his sister, Elizabeth F. Martindale.
|1982 - 2006||J. V. Fleming|
|2007 -||D. J. Fuss|
Established by his family in honor of Lyman Spitzer, Jr., Charles A. Young Professor of Astronomy on the Class of 1897 Foundation, Emeritus.
|1989 - 2007||B. Paczynski|
|2016 -||J. M. Stone|
|1992 -||A. B. Krueger|
Established in honor of Malcolm Stevenson Forbes, Class of 1941, by the Forbes Foundation, and his sons, Christopher Forbes, Class of 1972, and Steve Forbes, Class of 1970.
|2005 - 2010||K. S. Newman||Sociology and Woodrow Wilson School|
|2013 -||J. E. Zelizer||Woodrow Wilson School and History|
The gift of Frederick Marquand, brother of Henry G. Marquand, one-time president of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and uncle of Allan Marquand, Class of 1874, founder of the Princeton Department of Art and Archaeology.
|1883 - 1910||A. Marquand|
|1910 - 1933||F. J. Mather, Jr.|
|1938 - 1946||C. R. Morey|
|1946 - 1956||A. M. Friend, Jr.|
|1959 - 1966||R. W. Lee|
|1966 - 1970||D. R. Coffin|
|1970 - 1987||J. R. Martin|
|1992 - 2009||Y. Shimizu|
|2007 -||T. D. Kaufmann|
The gift of Mrs. Cyrus H. McCormick, Sr., and her sons, Cyrus H. McCormick, Class of 1879, and Harold F. McCormick, Class of 1895, in honor of Cyrus Hall McCormick Sr.
|1898 - 1910||W. Wilson|
|1912 - 1914||W. F. Willoughby|
|1918 - 1946||E. S. Corwin|
|1947 - 1968||A. T. Mason|
|1968 - 1995||W. F. Murphy|
|1999 -||R. P. George|
Given by alumni in memory of James McCosh, President of the College, 1868-1888.
|1898 - 1913||A. T. Ormond|
|1914 - 1919||N. K. Smith|
|1933 - 1935||R. B. C. Johnson|
|1936 - 1940||E. G. Spaulding|
|1941 - 1946||T. M. Greene|
|1956 - 1970||L. Wood|
|1977 - 1998||S. A. Kripke|
|1998 - 2008||B. C. van Fraassen|
|2009 -||M. A. Smith|
Given by the family of Meredith Howland Pyne, Jr., Class of 1921, who died of injuries sustained in World War I.
|1930 - 1931||A. Maurois|
|1930 - 1931||P. Laumonier|
|1931 - 1932||W. A. Nitze|
|1931 - 1932||F. Baldensperger|
|1937 - 1950||G. Chinard|
|1954 - 1981||A. Hoog|
|1981 - 2013||F. Rigolot|
|2011 - 2012||H. S. Kay|
|2016 -||D. M. Bellos|
Established by the alumni in honor of James Ormsbee Murray, Dean of the Faculty, 1883-1899.
|1899 - 1913||H. van Dyke|
|1914 - 1919||A. Noyes|
|1919 - 1923||H. van Dyke|
|1933 - 1936||J. D. Spaeth|
|1938 - 1944||C. W. Kennedy|
|1952 - 1970||G. E. Bentley|
|1970 - 1980||D. W. Robertson|
|1981 - 1989||T. McFarland|
|1991 - 2003||T. P. Roche, Jr.|
|2003 -||C. L. Johnson|
In honor of Professor George W. Musgrave, D.D., 1845, Trustee of Princeton, 1859-1882.
|1892 - 1925||J. H. Westcott||Latin|
|1933 - 1943||A. C. Johnson||Latin|
|1946 - 1949||J. V. A. Fine||Latin|
|1956 - 1970||F. R. B. Godolphin||Latin|
|1971 - 1989||M. J. Levy, Jr.||Woodrow Wilson School|
|1992 - 2013||G. F. Rozman||Sociology|
|2013 -||M. A. Centeno||Sociology and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established by the gift of the Nissan Motor Company.
|2009 - 2010||D. L. Howell|
|2011 -||S. M. Garon||History and East Asian Studies|
Established by Norman B. Tomlinson '48 in memory of his father, Norman B. Tomlinson '16 for a professorship in the Department of History.
|2003 -||J. T. Gross|
Established by the gift of Gordon Υ. S. Wu, Class of 1958, in honor of Norman John Sollenberger, Professor of Civil Engineering, Emeritus.
|1989 - 1995||M. Shinozuka||Civil Engineering|
|1996 - 2015||E. Çinlar||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|2015 -||S. Sundaresan||Chemical and Biological Engineering|
Established by the family of P. Y. and Kinmay W. Tang in their honor.
|2001 - 2016||J. Silbergeld|
Established by a gift from Paul M. Wythes '55 P86 and Marcia R. Wythes P86 to support a tenured member of the faculty in the Department of Computer Science.
|2009 -||K. Li|
Established through the allocation of funds from the bequest of Philip and Beulah Rollins for the advancement of the study of history.
|1962 - 1985||E. F. Goldman|
|1986 - 2011||P. R. Brown|
|2012 - 2015||A. N. H. Creager|
|2015 -||A. G. Rabinbach|
Established by a gift of Phillip Υ. Goldman, Class of 1986, and Susan R. Goldman.
|1998 -||D. P. Dobkin|
Established through gifts of Pomeroy Smith, Class of 1946, and his wife Betty Perry Smith.
|1991 - 2007||J. Wei||Chemical Engineering|
|2007 -||Y. G. Kevrekidis||Chemical and Biological Engineering|
Established by the bequest of Ralph W. Dornte of the Graduate Class of 1931.
|2001 - 2002||E. I. Stiefel|
|2002 - 2005||W. S. Warren|
|2006 -||R. Car||Chemistry and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials|
Established by the gift of Robert E. Kahn *64 to support the teaching and research of a tenured faculty member in computer science or electrical engineering.
|2007 - 2013||L. L. Peterson||Computer Science|
|2013 -||E. W. Felten||Computer Science and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established in honor of Robert F. Goheen, Class of 1940 and President of the University, 1956-1972, through gifts to A Campaign for Princeton.
|1989 - 2006||C. A. Morrison|
|2016 -||B. A. Holmes||Classics|
Established in 1954 in memory of Robert H. Goddard, pioneer in rocket research, as part of the jet propulsion program of the Department of Aeronautical Engineering, endowed in large part by a gift of the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation.
|1960 - 1970||L. Crocco|
|1970 - 1972||D. duP. Donaldson||Visiting Lecturer with rank of Professor|
|1981 - 1988||F. A. Williams|
|1988 - 1999||I. Glassman|
|1995 -||C. Κ. Law|
Established by a gift from Mrs. Lillian Marks to bring a visiting scholar to teach European art of the period 1200-1800 A.D.
|2005 - 2006||W. Liedtke|
|2006 - 2007||J. B. Scott|
|2009 - 2010||D. Howard|
The gift of Roger S. Berlind, Class of 1952.
|1986 - 2015||J. C. Oates||Lewis Center for the Arts, Creative Writing|
|2016 -||T. K. Smith||Lewis Center for the Arts, Creative Writing|
Established by the gift of Adolph G. Rosengarten, Jr., Class of 1927.
|1995 - 2006||R. L. Tignor||History|
|2005 -||P. G. Nord||History|
|2007 - 2012||S. Kotkin||History|
|2013 -||M. D. Gordin||History|
The gift of Russell Wellman Moore, Class of 1883, and Mrs. Moore.
|1913 - 1917||L. W. McCay|
|1933 - 1937||W. Foster|
|1937 - 1945||A. W. C. Menzies|
|1945 - 1960||N. H. Furman|
|1965 - 1972||A. V. Tobolsky|
|1976 - 1991||D. S. McClure|
|1995 - 2004||G. McLendon|
|2006 -||R. J. Cava||Chemistry and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials|
To support the research and teaching of public policy pertaining to the Middle East by a faculty member in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
|2005 - 2014||D. Kurtzer||Visiting Professor|
The gift of William H. Scheide, Class of 1936.
|1981 - 1987||P. Brainard|
|1988 - 1995||K. Levy|
|1995 - 2001||H. Powers|
|2001 - 2009||P. G. Jeffery|
|2009 - 2016||S. G. Burnham|
|2016 -||W. Heller|
Established from the George Henry Davis 1886 and Shelby Cullom Davis 1930 Fund for the support of the Department of History.
|1966 - 1973||C. C. Gillispie|
|1973 - 1983||C. E. Black|
|1984 - 2007||R. C. Darnton|
|2012 -||J. F. Haldon|
Established from the George Henry Davis 1886 and Shelby Cullom Davis 1930 fund for the support of the Department of History.
|2003 -||L. Colley|
Established by a gift from Sidney Lapidus, Class of 1959, and Ruth Lapidus. [Formerly "Sidney and Ruth Lapidus Professorship in the American Revolutionary Era" from 2004-2010.]
|2005 - 2006||P. D. Morgan|
|2007 - 2010||R. S. Wilentz|
|2011 -||D. A. Bell|
Established with funds granted by the Squibb Corporation.
|1988 - 1991||J. Rothman|
|1993 -||E. Wieschaus|
|2007 -||B. Bassler|
Established by a bequest from Henrietta Bauer Ivins W34.
Established through a gift of the RJM Foundation.
|2001 - 2006||D. A. Saville||Chemical Engineering|
|2007 - 2015||C. A. Floudas||Chemical and Biological Engineering|
|2015 -||A. Kahn||Electrical Engineering|
Established by a gift from Gregory H. Olsen in honor of Professor Stephen R. Forrest.
|2013 -||J. C. Sturm|
Established by Robert D. Stuart, Jr., '37, his family, and the Quaker Oats Company to enable a distinguished scholar to study the impact of the media—especially television—on public and international affairs.
|1991 - 1999||L. M. Bartels|
|2001 - 2002||C. Wren|
|2002 - 2003||E. W. Thomas|
|2005 -||P. E. Starr||Sociology and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established by Mrs. Robert L. Stuart in memory of her husband, Robert L. Stuart, and his brother, Alexander Stuart, for the endowment of a professorship in psychology. Augmented by additional gifts from Mrs. Stuart in 1888, 1889, and 1891.
|1893 - 1904||J. M. Baldwin|
|1904 - 1907||F. Thilly|
|1907 - 1914||N. K. Smith|
|1914 - 1934||H. C. Warren|
|1938 - 1947||H. S. Langfeld|
|1953 - 1955||H. Cantril|
|1962 - 1972||F. A. Geldard|
|1974 - 1975||R. L. Solomon|
|1977 - 1993||E. Ε. Jones|
|1994 - 2012||P. N. Johnson-Laird|
|2015 -||J. N. Shelton|
Established by Mrs. Robert L. Stuart, in memory of her husband, Robert L. Stuart, and his brother, Alexander Stuart, for the endowment of professorships in the Department of Philosophy, including ethics, logic, metaphysics, and the history of philosophy. Augmented by additional gifts from Mrs. Stuart in 1888, 1889, and 1891.
|1884 - 1888||J. McCosh|
|1884 - 1898||A. T. Ormond|
|1884 - 1913||F. L. Patton|
|1897 - 1932||J. G. Hibben|
|1918 - 1935||W. Fite|
|1936 - 1955||R. Scoon|
|1938 - 1955||W. T. Stace|
|1956 - 1973||C. G. Hempel|
|1956 - 1976||G. Vlastos|
|1979 - 1998||P. Benacerraf|
|1979 - 1980||W. Kaufmann|
|1981 - 1982||R. Rorty|
|1989 - 1991||M. Frede|
|1995 - 1998||D. K. Lewis|
|1998 - 2009||J. M. Cooper|
|1998 - 1999||M. D. Wilson|
|1999 - 2009||G. H. Harman|
|2009 - 2016||D. Garber|
|2009 -||G. A. Rosen|
|2016 -||H. P. Halvorson|
Established by Janet Kuenne P85, Leslie and Christopher Kuenne '85, and Carolyn and David Jeppsen, in honor of Robert E. Kuenne, Professor of Economics, Emeritus.
|2012 -||M. Fleurbaey||Woodrow Wilson School and University Center for Human Values|
Established by a gift from Theodora D. '78 and William H. Walton III '74.
|2013 -||Y. L. Loo||Chemical and Biological Engineering|
Established with funds from a trust founded by Theodore A. Wells, Class of 1929, and a bequest by Margery A. Wells for the purpose of supporting the teaching of economics, with emphasis on the principles of free enterprise.
|1995 - 1997||D. E. Card|
|1999 - 2013||J. A. Scheinkman|
|2006 - 2011||C. E. Rouse||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2007 -||R. J-M. Benabou||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2007 -||W. Pesendorfer|
|2013 -||E. A. Rossi-Hansberg||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2014 -||A. R. Mian||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
Established by a gift from R. Brandon Fradd, Class of 1983. [Formerly "The R. Brandon Fradd, Class of 1983, Professorship in Mathematics" from 2008-2010.]
|2010 -||M. Bhargava|
The gift of Miss Gwethalyn Jones in honor of her uncle, Thomas D. Jones, Class of 1876, Trustee of the University, 1909-1912.
|1928 - 1929||H. Weyl|
|1938 - 1971||Ε. P. Wigner|
|1971 - 1992||A. S. Wightman|
|1992 - 1996||E. H. Lieb|
|1996 - 1998||D. Gross|
|1997 - 1998||Y. G. Sinai|
|2000 - 2001||I. R. Klebanov|
|2001 - 2002||S. Klainerman|
|2002 - 2003||M. Aizenman|
|2005 - 2006||E. Lindenstrauss|
|2005 - 2006||G. Tian|
|2006 - 2007||I. R. Klebanov|
|2007 - 2008||I. Rodnianski|
|2008 - 2009||M. Aizenman|
|2009 - 2010||A. Okounkov|
|2010 - 2011||W. Bialek|
|2011 - 2012||M. Bhargava|
|2011 - 2012||S. Klainerman|
|2012 - 2013||D. A. Huse|
|2013 - 2014||A. D. Ionescu|
|2014 - 2015||C. G.Callan, Jr.|
|2015 - 2016||M. C. Dafermos|
|2016 - 2017||M. Aizenman|
Established by a gift from the Thomas and Stacey Siebel Foundation.
|2015 -||A. N. H. Creager||History|
Established by family, friends, and classmates in honor of Van Zandt Williams, Jr. '65.
|2010 -||T. W. Muir|
Maintained by the Walker Foundation of International Finance, endowed in 1928 by friends and relatives of the late James T. Walker, Class of 1927.
|1931 - 1943||E. W. Kemmerer|
|1945 - 1949||F. D. Graham|
|1950 - 1960||J. Viner|
|1960 - 1971||F. Machlup|
|1971 - 2004||P. B. Kenen|
|2009 - 2012||P. J. Kehoe|
|2015 -||M. A. Aguiar|
Established from the bequest of Walter Cerf, graduate Class of 1941, in support of the Department of Philosophy.
|2004 - 2016||M. Johnston|
Endowed by the Good Samaritan Foundation in honor of Mr. Carpenter, a Trustee of the Foundation.
|1976 - 1982||E. L. King|
|1985 - 2001||A. K. Forcione|
|2002 - 2011||R. E. Piglia|
|2014 -||R. Gallo|
Established with funds granted by Warner-Lambert Company, in honor of Ward S. Hagan, Class of 1948, chairman of the company, 1979-1985.
|1986 -||T. J. Silhavy|
|2007 - 2009||Y. Shi|
|2012 -||Y. Kang|
The gift of Mrs. Annie S. Paton.
|1919 - 1929||R. W. Rogers|
|1929 - 1954||P. K. Hitti|
|1969 - 1972||A. H. Marckwardt|
|1972 - 1977||A. W. Litz, Jr.|
|1977 - 1987||T. R. Weiss|
|1988 - 2007||U. Knoepflmacher|
|2011 -||N. Smith|
Given in their honor by their children, six of whom graduated from Princeton between 1955 and 1979.
|1986 - 2004||A. C. Yao||Computer Science|
|2005 - 2013||J. C. Sturm||Electrical Engineering|
|2014 -||J. A. Smith||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
Created by the Board of Trustees in honor of William Church Osborn, Class of 1883, Charter Trustee of the University, 1914-1942, and one of the organizers of the Woodrow Wilson School.
|1952 - 1953||D. H. Wallace|
|1954 - 1959||S. K. Bailey|
|1964 - 1986||A. J. Coale|
|1986 - 1998||A. S. Deaton|
|1998 -||R. D. Arnold|
Endowed by the Danforth Foundation in honor of its president, William H. Danforth, father of Donald Danforth, Class of 1920, Charter Trustee of the University.
|1956 - 1968||R. B.Y. Scott|
|1968 - 1971||K. K. S. Ch'en|
|1972 - 1978||P. H. Ashby|
|1978 - 1992||M. L. Diamond|
|1995 - 2006||J. G. Gager, Jr.|
|2007 -||M. Himmelfarb|
Established by the will of William J. Sinclair, member of the Geology Faculty, 1905-1935.
|1946 - 1971||G. L. Jepsen|
|2005 -||B. B. Ward|
Established by the gift of Priscilla S. Knapp in memory of her husband, William L. Knapp '47, to support the teaching and research of a tenured member of the faculty in the study of civil engineering in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.
|2005 -||G. W. Scherer||Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials|
Established in honor of William O. Baker *39, trustee of the University, 1964-1986, through the bequest of Stephen H. Condit, a friend of the University.
|1986 -||R. Sedgewick|
The gift of William P. Boswell, a member of the Class of 1942, in honor of the Class.
|1984 - 1985||R. J. Vincent||Visiting Professor|
|1985 - 1986||J. Galtung||Visiting Professor|
|1986 - 1987||R. Vayrynen||Visiting Professor|
|1987 - 1988||J. L. Gaddis||Visiting Professor|
|1987 - 1988||O. R. Young||Visiting Professor|
|1988 - 1989||R. Engler||Visiting Professor|
|1989 - 1998||G. Downs|
|1998 -||J. S. Gowa|
|2011 -||T. J. Christensen|
The gift of William Shubael Conant, Class of 1890.
|1953 - 1965||R. H. Sessions|
|1966 - 1984||M. B. Babbitt|
|1995 - 2001||P. T. Westergaard|
|2001 - 2014||P. Lansky|
|2015 -||S. Mackey|
The gift of John Kennedy Tod, in memory of his brother, William Stewart Tod, Class of 1884.
|1939 - 1961||D. G. Μυnrο|
|1964 - 1979||K. Knorr|
|1981 - 1985||H. S. Bienen|
|1985 - 1998||J. Waterbury|
|1998 - 2001||J. L. Hochschild|
|2002 - 2009||M. Rothschild||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2009 - 2016||E. Shafir||Psychology and Woodrow Wilson School|
The gift of Edward W. Bok, "to commemorate Mr. Wilson's mastery of spoken and written English."
|1926 - 1932||G. M. Harper|
|1933 - 1946||R. K. Root|
|1952 - 1962||D. A. Stauffer|
|1954 - 1977||C. H. Baker|
|1977 - 1990||S. Hynes|
|1990 - 1998||A. Rampersad|
|2001 - 2015||V. A. Smith|
|2015 -||D. E. Nord|
Created by Board of Trustees in recognition of a gift from A. Barton Hepburn.
|2008 - 2016||P. J. DiMaggio||Sociology and Woodrow Wilson School|
|2016 -||A. McClintock||Gender and Sexuality Studies|
Established from the bequest of Janet H. Stewart in memory of her brother, Alexander Stewart.
|2007 -||A. C. Case||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2007 -||S. E. Morris||Economics|
|2008 -||D. A. Prentice||Psychology and Public Affairs|
Established by a gift from Dwight W. Anderson, Class of 1989.
Established by a gift from Anthony B. Evnin, Class of 1962, Trustee of the University.
|2003 - 2015||D. Botstein||Molecular Biology and Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics|
|2015 -||M. Levine||Molecular Biology and Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics|
Two professorships established from the bequest of Arthur W. Marks '19.
|1992 - 2002||R. Fagles||Comparative Literature|
|1992 -||W. B. Russel||Chemical Engineering|
|2002 - 2009||L. Barkan||Comparative Literature|
|2006 - 2011||E. A. Carter||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Applied and Computational Mathematics|
|2009 -||D. Heller-Roazen||Comparative Literature|
|2012 -||C. J. Greenhouse||Anthropology|
Given by the Chemical Bank in recognition and appreciation of the contributions of four Princetonians who were successive chairmen of Chemical Bank: Harold H. Helm, Class of 1920; William S. Renchard, Class of 1928; Donald C. Platten, Class of 1940; and John F. McGillicuddy, Class of 1952.
|1987 - 1988||J. E. Stiglitz||Economics|
|1988 - 2011||B. G. Malkiel||Economics|
|2015 -||M. Golosov||Economics|
Established from a gift by the members of the Class of 1943, and their friends for the support of a chair in a traditional or new area of scholarship.
|2014 -||M. Lane||Politics|
|2014 -||S-J. Leslie||Philosophy|
Established by Claude C. Kelly, Jr. '49 and Lore K. Kelly.
|2011 -||H. James||History and Woodrow Wilson School|
Supported by the Cotsen endowment in the humanities established in 1986 by Lloyd Cotsen '50 in honor of his late wife, Jo Anne Stolaroff Cotsen, and their children, Corinna, Tobey, Lloyd and Noah.
|1987 - 2016||E. J. Champlin||Classics|
|2008 -||S. L. Bermann||Comparative Literature|
|2016 -||J. T. Katz||Classics|
Established by a gift from Currie C. and Thomas A. Barron '74.
|2015 -||R. Nixon||English and Princeton Environmental Institute|
Endowed by a grant from the Donner Foundation, Inc. The income on the endowment is used to support teaching and research in the physical sciences at Princeton, as part of the national effort in basic scientific research and teaching.
|1959 - 1966||D. F. Hornig||Chemistry|
|1966 - 1975||A. B. Pardee||Biochemistry|
|1976 - 1985||J. W. Tukey||Statistics|
|1987 - 2008||G. Scoles||Chemistry|
|2009 -||J. Kollár||Mathematics|
Established by the gift of a foundation created by Jonathan Mitchell, Doris Stevens's husband.
|1993 - 1995||K. Luker||Sociology|
|1999 - 2007||C. Armstrong||Art and Archaeology|
|2013 -||R. Kunzel||History and Gender and Sexuality Studies|
Established in the humanities by the gift of Edmund N. Carpenter II '43, his wife, Carroll, and the Good Samaritan Foundation
|1989 - 1990||A. Nehamas||Visiting Professor|
|1990 -||A. Nehamas||Philosophy|
Established by a gift from Marie and Edward E. Matthews '53.
|2005 -||D. J. Abreu||Economics|
Established from the bequest of Edwards S. Sanford, Class of 1905.
|1971 - 1999||W. C. Fong||Art and Archaeology|
|1999 - 2003||M. W. Doyle||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
|2005 - 2007||J. M. Rabaté||Comparative Literature|
|2006 -||C. R. Beitz||Politics|
|2008 -||M. K. Brunnermeier||Economics|
|2011 -||P. J. Chirik||Chemistry|
|2014 -||A. A. Jamal||Politics|
Established from the bequest of Edwin S. Wilsey, Class of 1904.
|1972 - 1999||S. H. Lam||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2001 -||W. A. Massey||Operations Research and Financial Engineering|
|2008 -||N. E. Leonard||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
Created in honor of a bequest from Evans Crawford and Aileen W. Clancy.
|2011 -||D. R. Marlow||Physics|
Established by a gift from Edward B. Goodnow '47.
|2006 -||J. Fan||Operations Research and Financial Engineering|
Established by a gift from Gerhard R. Andlinger '52. To be held in the Social Sciences, preferably in the Department of Sociology.
|1992 -||R. J. Wuthnow||Sociology|
Established by a gift from Gerhard R. Andlinger, Class of 1952. Professorships for faculty associated with the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment.
|2011 -||E. A. Carter||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Applied and Computational Mathematics|
|2016 -||E. U. Weber||Woodrow Wilson School, Psychology, and the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment|
Established by a gift from Joanna and Gregory M. Zeluck '84 P13.
|2013 -||M. Kern||East Asian Studies|
Established in memory of Henry DeWolf Smyth '18 *21, professor of physics. To be held in the sciences (preferably in physics).
|1992 - 2001||P. Piroué||Physics|
|2001 - 2006||P. M. Chaikin||Physics|
|2005 - 2014||L. A. Page, Jr.||Physics|
|2014 -||S. T. Staggs||Physics|
The gift of Henry G. Bryant, Class of 1883.
|1952 - 1969||H. Sprout||Geography and International Relations|
|1973 - 2005||J. Wolpert||Geography, Public Affairs, and Urban Planning|
|2005 -||D. S. Massey||Woodrow Wilson School and Sociology|
Established by the Henry Luce Foundation to strengthen critical dialogue between cognitive science and computer science, and humanities and social sciences.
|2003 -||D. N. Osherson||Psychology|
Established by the Board of Trustees with a part of the funds bequeathed by Henry W. Putnam.
|1959 - 1984||H. M. Davies||Religion|
|1987 - 2013||A. J. Raboteau||Religion|
|2011 -||J. M. Currie||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2013 -||M. R. Beissinger||Politics|
Established by a gift from Henry Wendt III, Class of 1955. To support teaching and research in contemporary East Asian Studies.
|2007 -||D. Leheny||East Asian Studies|
Two professorships established by a gift from their son, T. Edmund Beck, Class of 1926.
|1984 - 1985||J. N. Frank||Comparative Literature|
|1986 - 1987||J. K. Shearman||Art and Archaeology|
|1987 - 1988||H. F. Sonnenschein||Economics|
|1989 - 1994||J. Y. Campbell||Economics|
|1994 - 2005||B. S. Bernanke||Woodrow Wilson School|
|2002 - 2014||A. Portes||Sociology|
|2006 -||M. W. Watson||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2014 -||A. W. Patten||Politics|
Established with income received from a trust created by Hugh Trumbull Adams '35.
|2014 -||W. Xiong||Economics|
Established with income received from a trust created by Hugh L. Adams P35 to support a professorship in economics, engineering, government, or history.
|2012 -||M. R. Martonosi||Computer Science|
Established from the bequest of Miss Elizabeth F. Hughes in memory of her parents, Edward Smallwood Hughes, Class of 1882, and Minerva Rogers Hughes.
|2007 -||N. R. Goldman||Woodrow Wilson School|
|2007 - 2012||C. H. Paxson||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
|2008 - 2016||H. S. Shin||Economics|
|2009 -||D. Gabai||Mathematics|
|2012 - 2015||A. Wimmer||Sociology|
|2016 -||V. K. Agawu||Music|
Established by a gift from John H. Scully, Class of 1966.
|1998 - 2005||P. Bolton||Economics|
|2007 - 2016||H. Hong||Economics|
The gift of John N. Woodhull, Class of 1828. [Formerly the "John N. Woodhull Professorship of Modern Languages" from 1870-2009.]
|1870 - 1892||J. Kargé||Modern Languages|
|1896 - 1900||G. M. Harper||Modern Languages|
|1900 - 1905||A. G. Cameron||Modern Languages|
|1910 - 1938||W. U. Vreeland||Modern Languages|
|1938 - 1943||H. W. Hewett-Thayer||Modern Languages|
|1952 - 1965||I. O. Wade||Modern Languages|
|1968 - 1977||V. Lange||Germanic Languages and Literatures|
|1978 - 2003||K. D. Uitti||Romance Languages and Literatures|
|2009 -||J. P. Burgess||Philosophy|
Established by John P. Birkelund '52 to support a joint appointment within the Department of History and the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
|2012 -||S. Kotkin||History and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established in grateful recognition of gifts from John Work Garrett, Class of 1895, and Robert Garrett, Class of 1897.
|2009 - 2016||A. H. Meirowitz|
Established through a gift of Gordon Y.S. Wu, Class of 1958.
|1997 -||S. Y. Chou||Electrical Engineering|
Established by a gift from Peter L. Briger, Jr., Class of 1986, and Devon Briger in honor of their mothers.
|2012 -||B. T. Grenfell||Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established by a gift from Laurence G. Pathy '56 to attract distinguished Canadian academics to Princeton for a year to teach and conduct scholarly activities.
|2001 - 2002||M. Fournier||Humanities Council|
|2013 - 2014||N. Ricci||Humanities Council|
Established by a gift from Laurance S. Rockefeller, Class of 1932. Four professorships for faculty associated with the University Center for Human Values.
|1999 -||S. Macedo||Politics and University Center for Human Values|
|2001 -||C. L. Eisgruber||Woodrow Wilson School and University Center for Human Values|
|2005 - 2008||K. L. Scheppele||Woodrow Wilson School and University Center for Human Values|
|2008 -||K. L. Scheppele||Woodrow Wilson School, University Center for Human Values, and Sociology|
|2011 - 2012||M. Fleurbaey||Woodrow Wilson School and University Center for Human Values|
|2016 -||E. Harman||Philosophy and University Center for Human Values|
|2016 -||A. B. Stilz||Politics and University Center for Human Values|
Established by a gift from John S. Katzman, Class of 1981.
|2011 -||C. E. Rouse||Woodrow Wilson School and Economics|
Established by a gift from Leonard L. Milberg, Class of 1953, in honor of Paul B. Muldoon.
|2015 -||C. E. Wills||English|
Established through a gift of Lloyd Cotsen '50 for faculty with scholarly interest in the study of children's literature.
|2002 -||V. A. Zelizer||Sociology|
Established by a gift from Luisa and Robert Fernholz '62.
The gift of Moses Taylor Pyne, Class of 1877, Trustee of Princeton, 1885-1921.
|1913 - 1928||P. van Dyke||History|
|1939 - 1950||H. H. Bender||Indo-Germanic Philology|
|1954 - 1968||G. F. Thomas||Religion|
|1968 - 1979||T. S. Κuhn||History of Science|
|1983 - 1999||J. L. Gossman||Romance Languages and Literatures|
|1999 - 2013||M-H. Huet||French and Italian|
|2014 -||M. Koortbojian||Art and Archaeology|
Established from the bequests of Maurice P. During, Class of 1922, and his mother, Mrs. Elmire During.
|2010 -||M. Duneier||Sociology|
Established from the bequests of Maurice P. During, Class of 1922, and his mother, Mrs. Elmire During.
|1972 - 1999||C. F. Westoff||Sociology|
|1999 -||M. Tienda||Sociology and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established by a gift from Mary and Randall A. Hack, Class of 1969.
|2002 -||Y. Aït-Sahalia||Economics|
Established by a gift from Marcia R. and Paul M. Wythes, Class of 1955, term (1986-1990) and Charter Trustee (1995-2005) of the University.
|1997 - 2000||H. M. Soner||Civil Engineering and Operations Research|
|2002 -||R. Carmona||Operations Research and Financial Engineering|
Established by a bequest from Philip R. Mayhew '56.
|2012 -||J. D. Cohen||Psychology and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute|
Established in grateful recognition of gifts from Robert Garrett, Class of 1897, and John Work Garrett, Class of 1895.
|2011 -||C. Boix||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
Established as a gift from Robert H. Niehaus, Class of 1977. To support teaching and research in contemporary Muslim studies, especially in the region of the Middle East.
|2006 -||M. Q. Zaman||Near Eastern Studies and Religion|
Created by the Board of Trustees in memory of Robert Porter Patterson, and in grateful recognition of his services as chairman of the Forrestal Memorial Committee, which assisted the University in providing the expanded facilities for research in science and engineering represented by the Forrestal Research Center (now the Forrestal Campus).
|1953 - 1963||A. A. Nikolsky||Aeronautical Engineering|
|1963 - 1989||S. M. Bogdonoff||Aeronautical Engineering|
|1995 - 2011||G. L. Brown||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2011 - 2013||R. B. Miles||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2013 -||Y. Ju||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
Established from the bequest of Robert Schirmer, Class of 1921.
|1972 - 1980||L. H. Lockwood||Music|
|1982 - 2001||M. Graves||Architecture|
|2002 -||M. S. Brownlee||Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Cultures and Comparative Literature|
|2008 -||S. E. Gikandi||English|
Established by the Roger Williams Straus Memorial Foundation.
|1967 - 1976||F. H. Harbison||Economics|
|1976 - 1993||M. Bressler||Sociology|
|1993 - 2005||H. Rosenthal||Politics|
|2005 -||C. H. Achen||Politics|
Established by a gift from G. Lynn Schostack W69 H69.
Established through the allocation of funds from the Susan Dod Brown Fund.
|2007 - 2010||A. Z. Panagiotopoulos||Chemical Engineering|
|2007 -||N. W. McCarty||Woodrow Wilson School and Politics|
|2008 -||F. R. Gul||Economics|
|2010 -||J. Biehl||Anthropology|
|2010 -||E. F. Wood||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
Established by a gift from an anonymous donor.
|2016 -||E. Shafir||Psychology and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established by Anthony B. Evnin '62, Luke B. Evnin '85, and Tim W. Evnin '87.
|2015 -||H. S. Seung||Computer Science and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute|
Established by a gift from Wilber H. Gantz III, Class of 1959.
|2015 -||C. D. Brody||Molecular Biology and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute|
Established by the gift of an anonymous donor in honor of Theodora Shelton Pitney.
|2001 - 2006||I. Rodriguez-Iturbe||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|2008 -||M. A. Celia||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
Established from the bequest of Townsend Martin, Class of 1917.
|1976 - 2000||E. Miner||English and Comparative Literature|
|2000 -||H. F. Foster||Art and Archaeology|
|2010 -||K. A. Wailoo||History and Woodrow Wilson School|
Established in honor of her late husband, Walter Samuel Carpenter III, Class of 1938, by his widow, Muriel duPont Carpenter.
|1983 - 1989||S. Stein||History|
|2001 - 2014||J. I. Adelman||History|
Two professorships established by the bequest of William Nelson Cromwell for the support of teaching and research in the field of law.
|1964 - 1969||W. M. Beaney||Politics|
|1999 - 2002||G. Kateb||Politics|
|2002 - 2005||P. N. Pettit||Politics and University Center for Human Values|
|2002 -||L. Rosen||Anthropology|
|2006 -||K. E. Whittington||Politics|
Established by a gift from William R. Harman '63 and Mary-Love Harman.
|2010 - 2014||L. Kruglyak||Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Integrative Genomics|
|2014 -||J. D. Storey||Molecular Biology and Integrative Genomics|
Two professorships established with funds from a trust founded by William R. Kenan, Jr.
|1969 - 1989||R. Geddes||Architecture|
|1990 - 1995||A. Vidler||Architecture|
|1995 -||M. C. Boyer||Architecture|
|2004 - 2011||I. C. Daubechies||Mathematics and Applied and Computational Mathematics|
|2011 - 2015||P. Constantin||Mathematics and Applied and Computational Mathematics|
Established with funds from the William S. Tod Fund.
|2007 -||S. S. McLanahan||Woodrow Wilson School and Sociology|
|2007 -||E. S. Glaude, Jr.||Religion and African American Studies|
|2009 - 2012||A. Okounkov||Mathematics|
|2014 -||G. D. Scholes||Chemistry|
Established with funds from the bequest of William Sauter LaPorte '28 to support instruction and research, with special regard for non-Western nations and cultures.
|2007 -||T. W. Hare||Comparative Literature|
Princeton University shares with Columbia, Harvard, and Yale universities in a trust fund established by the will of Eugene Higgins, a Columbia University graduate of the Class of 1882, who died in 1948. Income from the fund is expended by a committee comprised of the presidents of the four universities, together with the president of the United States Trust Company, which administers the trust. The income is devoted to "education in natural and physical sciences" and the "general advancement of science by investigation, research, and experimentation" in the four universities. In conformity with the objectives of the trust, Princeton University has established Eugene Higgins Professorships in the sciences, supported by income received from the fund.
|1949 - 1978||M. G. White||Physics|
|1950 - 1979||M. Schwarzschild||Astrophysical Sciences|
|1950 - 1970||W. Feller||Mathematics|
|1950 - 1971||E. G. Wever||Psychology|
|1955 - 1975||J. Turkevich||Chemistry|
|1957 - 1977||M. L. Goldberger||Physics|
|1960 - 1965||A. V. Tobolsky||Chemistry|
|1969 - 1976||P. von R. Schleyer||Chemistry|
|1971 - 1972||D. C. Spencer||Mathematics|
|1971 - 1978||K. Iwasawa||Mathematics|
|1971 - 2002||B. A. Campbell||Psychology|
|1977 - 1978||S. B. Treiman||Physics|
|1978 - 1993||B. M. Dwork||Mathematics|
|1978 - 1980||J. J. Hopfield||Physics|
|1979 - 2011||J. E. Gunn||Astrophysical Sciences|
|1980 - 1982||D. T. Wilkinson||Physics|
|1981 - 2007||T. G. Spiro||Chemistry|
|1982 - 1986||J. H. Taylor||Physics|
|1986 - 1995||C. G. Callan, Jr.||Physics|
|1986 - 1996||D. J. Gross||Physics|
|1991 - 1992||W. P. Thurston||Mathematics|
|1994 - 2009||A. J. Wiles||Mathematics|
|1993 - 2007||D. Kahneman||Woodrow Wilson School, Psychology|
|1995 - 2003||W. Happer||Physics|
|1996 -||E. Lieb||Physics|
|1999 -||F. D. M. Haldane||Physics|
|2002 -||P. Sarnak||Mathematics|
|2003 -||N-P. Ong||Physics|
|2005 - 2012||J. D. Cohen||Psychology|
|2007 - 2010||J. Altman||Ecology and Evolutionary Biology|
|2007 -||N. A. Bahcall||Astrophysical Sciences|
|2007 -||S. T. Fiske||Psychology|
|2007 -||A. J. Smits||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2007 - 2011||K. Steiglitz||Computer Science|
|2008 -||B. Chazelle||Computer Science|
|2008 - 2015||P. J. Holmes||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|2008 -||S. Verdú||Electrical Engineering|
|2009 -||G. Tian||Mathematics|
|2010 -||S-Y. A. Chang||Mathematics|
|2011 -||A. W. Appel||Computer Science|
|2011 -||C. F. Gmachl||Electrical Engineering|
|2011 -||S. Klainerman||Mathematics|
|2012 -||I. R. Klebanov||Physics|
|2012 -||R. A. Register||Chemical and Biological Engineering|
|2015 -||J.E. Schwarzbauer||Molecular Biology|
Established with funds granted by the Andrew Mellon Foundation to enable the University to make additional appointments of non-tenured faculty members in the humanities.
|1977 - 1983||C. Kanda||Art and Archaeology|
|1977 - 1983||C. G. Normore||Philosophy|
|1979 - 1986||D. M. Van Leer||English|
|1980 - 1986||G. W. Most||Classics|
|1985 - 1988||R. Freidin||Philosophy|
Established by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
|1987 - 1988||D. L. Bromwich||English|
|1987 - 1990||A. Gutmann||Politics|
|1987 - 1988||J. E. DeJean||Romance Languages and Literatures|
|1988 - 1993||A. T. Grafton||History|
|1989 - 1992||J. L. Stout||Religion|
|1991 - 1995||P. F. Brown||Art and Archaeology|
Established by family and friends in memory of Eugene P. Wigner, Thomas D. Jones Professor of Mathematical Physics from 1938-1971 and winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1963, and his wife, Mary W. Wigner.
|2009 - 2012||B. A. Bernevig||Physics|
Supported through gifts from the King Faisal Foundation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
|1991 - 1992||Μ. M. al-Azami|
Supported by the Stanley J. Seeger fund for Hellenic Studies.
|1991 - 1995||J. Herrin||History|