Dependent Child Care Travel Fund

The Dependent Childcare Fund was created through a special allocation of the Dean of the Faculty so that professorial rank faculty members and senior lecturers with children can more easily attend professional meetings and engage in research involving travel. Awards from the Dependent Childcare Fund may be used by recipients for dependent care at a conference, or at an alternative location (including at home), and may include those expenses incurred in transporting a caregiver (other than the faculty member and/or spouse/partner) or the child.  Eligible members of the faculty may submit more than one request (and receive more than one grant) within a given fiscal year, up to a maximum of $2,000 in funding per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). Requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] at least two weeks prior to an event requiring dependent care, and must include the following:

  • The name and home department of the faculty member
  • Name, age, and home address of the dependent(s) receiving child care
  • A description of the dependent’s relationship to the applicant
  • A description of the conference or other event associated with this request, including date(s) and location, and of the faculty member’s role in the event (e.g. panel organizer, paper presenter)
  • A detailed budget noting anticipated expenses that are above and beyond those normally incurred.  This should include information about travel and accommodations for the dependent(s) (and possibly the caregiver) if relevant to the budget, as well as a description of the planned care (the provider’s name, the provider’s relationship to the applicant, the location of the care, hourly cost, etc.). Only those costs that are above and beyond normal childcare costs for the period of travel are eligible.  Meals are not reimbursable. 

Funding will be provided in the form of dependent care grants.  Payment of these grants will be made as additional compensation through the regular monthly payroll, since this type of funding is considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service.

Benefits Category