K. Compensation and Service Arrangements

1. Arrangements for Payment of Salary

       Faculty salaries are paid at the end of each month according to the pay schedule selected by eligible faculty members.

       Arrangements may be made with area banks, or with the Princeton University Employees Federal Credit Union, for monies to be set aside from the employee’s academic year salary to cover the summer months when not paid. Arrangements may be made through the Treasurer’s Office for the automatic deposit of salary payments in one of the banks in the area approved by Princeton University for direct deposit.

       Any payroll-related questions, including those regarding earnings, deductions, tax withholding, direct deposit, and payment schedules, should be addressed to the Payroll Section, of the Treasurer’s Office.

2. Summer Employment

       For those Faculty receiving summer salaries, salaries are paid at a rate of one-ninth of the academic year salary per month. Such appointments do not normally exceed two months’ duration and ordinarily include payments from sponsored research funding. University policy does permit the payment of summer salaries for up to 2.5 months, provided that any salary beyond two months is derived from outside sources. Requests for summer salary beyond two months must include a statement that no vacation will be taken during this time. Summer salary payments are made at the end of July and at the end of August. Summer employment must be authorized each year, in advance, through procedures established by the Dean of the Faculty.

3. Relation of Compensation to Duty Assignment

       It is the long-established policy of the University that the academic year salary includes compensation for all duty performed during the academic year, whether in teaching, research, or administration. Changes in duty assignment do not, therefore, alter a Faculty member’s salary. Exceptions to this policy are made only for participation as an Undergraduate Academic Adviser, service as Chair or Director of an academic department or program, or in other special cases.