Submit a Search Authorization Request for Faculty
Before instituting a search for any appointment to the Faculty, the chair must discuss the proposed appointment with the Dean of the Faculty. A natural occasion for this discussion is the annual fall meeting with the Dean of the Faculty to review the state of the department. This discussion should include the capacity of the departmental staffing budget to cover the appointment, how the appointment fits into the tenure flow of the department, how the search will be conducted to conform to the University's affirmative action policies, and how the appointment will fit into the department's curricular and research programs.
1. Each request will require you to submit information about the search and funding. You'll see that the online form asks essentially the same information as what was asked in the old PDF form. For details on what is required, please refer to the guide here.
2. Log into the system using your university NetID and password. After logging in, you'll see a listing of all previously created search requests for your department (it will likely be empty/blank the first time you log in).
3. To request a new faculty search, click on the "Start a New Request..." button in the upper left-hand corner. Confirm by clicking the button that you indeed want to create a new request. Each FTE/position associated with a search requires a unique search request.
4. Please fill out all fields in the online form, attaching supporting documents if more space is required. Please answer all questions to the best of your knowledge, knowing that some information will obviously need to be revised later. Note: the initial Search Authorization ID is a randomly generated number to help keep track of requests in the system. All items with a red "*" are required.
5. You may save a request without submitting by clicking on the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen. You can also delete the draft request by clicking on "Discard Request" at the bottom of the screen.
6. Once you have entered all information, click "Submit for Chair Review" at the bottom of the screen. Clicking this button will send automated emails to chairs/directors for all academic units listed as the primary and joint academic units of the search. Chairs/directors will be asked to click on a link and electronically "sign" or approve the request. For Division IV academic units, the Dean of SEAS will also be sent an email for SEAS approval of the SEAS portion of the start up funding. For chairs/directors who submit a request themselves for their own departments, their approval/signatures will automatically be granted. At any time, you can review the status of the signatures by clicking on the "Signatures" tab at the top of the form.
7. After all electronic signatures have been received by chairs/directors, the information and supporting documents will be sent to the DOF for further review. The "Status" column in the listing of requests will indicate when a request has been submitted to the DOF.
8. You can download a PDF summary of your request once it has been signed and submitted to the DOF. Click on the request and click the button "View PDF Summary of this Request" at the top of the screen. Feel free to print/save this for your records.
9. The DOF will follow up via email with next steps regarding your faculty search request. For all requests approved by the President, Provost, and Dean of the Faculty, a signed PDF copy of the request will be sent to you via email.