Leaves for Scholarship


For Faculty
Full Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Senior Lecturers and Instructors

The leave program of the University is designed to ensure that Faculty members may be relieved periodically from normal teaching and other University duties in order to pursue scholarship. Leaves are recommended by the Chair of the department on the basis of a Faculty member's proposed program of scholarship, while taking into account the teaching and service needs of the department. The leave program does not guarantee that each Faculty member receives a specified number of leaves during a given number of years. It is intended rather to provide flexibility in planning both for the individual Faculty member's scholarly pursuits and for the instructional program of the department. There are several kinds of leave, including sabbatical leave and leave without pay. For sabbatical leaves, at least five consecutive semesters of active service must precede the leave. For leaves without pay, at least two consecutive semesters of active service must precede the leave. No member of the Faculty may be on leave of any kind for more than four semesters in a seven-year period.


Tenured Faculty are eligible for leaves with pay for scholarship after five consecutive semesters of active service. In this context, semesters including short-term disability or workload relief for childcare are considered semesters of active service. Sabbatical leaves may be with full pay for one semester or half pay for two semesters in the same academic year. External funds may be used to provide the other half salary so long as these funds do not entail obligations which alter the purpose of the leave. One semester of paid leave may be "banked" to be used at a later time, with the understanding that no more than one semester of paid leave may be banked at a time and that five semesters of active service remains the minimum interval between sabbatical leaves. For example, Faculty may elect to serve ten semesters of active service and take one academic year on leave at full pay. Note that sabbatical leaves are available only to Faculty who are actively engaged in scholarship, teaching, and service. No more than 1/3 of tenured faculty in the department may be on sabbatical leave in any given academic year.


It is University policy that an Assistant Professor in the humanities or social sciences is granted one semester's leave with full pay or its equivalent during the first three-year appointment.


A Bicentennial Preceptor is granted one academic year's leave with full pay during the term as Bicentennial Preceptor in addition to the one-in-six leave granted to Assistant Professors in the humanities and social sciences.


A University Preceptor is granted one semester's leave with pay during the term as University Preceptor in addition to the one-in-six leave granted to Assistant Professors in the humanities and social sciences.

For Academic Professionals
Professional Researchers (including visitors and PostDocs), Professional Specialists and Librarians

Leaves for Scholarship for Academic Professionals

Professional Researchers and Professional Specialists

Professional researchers or professional specialists who have regular appointments of at least 50% duty time with at least one year of service may be eligible for research leaves or detached service agreements.

It is believed that under certain circumstances professional researchers or professional specialists and the University can mutually benefit from these staff members' being relieved of regular responsibilities--for example, to enable them to pursue new or unusual projects or to bring together the accomplishments of several related programs. Such activities, like projects regularly carried out by members of the staff, should normally be funded from grants, contracts, or fellowships. In those instances where leaves for research are approved and external support is not available, paid leaves for members of these staff may be granted for up to six months at full salary or up to 12 months at half salary.

Professional researchers or professional specialists may be assigned to projects at laboratories not affiliated with the University. Detached service assignments are not leaves with pay. Salaries to staff members on detached service will be charged to projects at the University in proportion to the time spent for the benefit of those projects during the staff members' periods of detached service. The balance of the staff members' salaries, if any, should be paid by the host institution or by other sources external to the University. The periods of detached service assignments vary and depend on the requirements of the projects involved. All arrangements for detached service are subject to the approval of the relevant sponsoring agencies and should be made only after consultation with the Office of Research and Project Administration as well as the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.



Members of the professional library staff holding the rank of Librarian or higher are eligible for research leaves with pay. These leaves typically last between one and three months, but six months is the maximum time allowed at full pay.

All requests for research leaves are submitted to the Promotion, Continuing Appointment and Review Committee and to the department head level or higher. These requests should describe the applicant’s proposed research program and its purposes and be accompanied by a statement from the appropriate Deputy or appropriate Associate University Librarian indicating support of the application in terms of its scholarly merit, of its benefit to the department, and of its impact on the department during the individual’s absence. Committee recommendations are transmitted to the University Librarian who then makes a recommendation to the Dean of the Faculty. Approval of research leaves will be dependent upon the quality of the proposed program and financial considerations relating to the Library. Such activities should normally be funded from grants, contracts or fellowships.