Salary Commitment Guidelines

The details of the salary agreement are summarized in the offer letter to the employee. Specific arrangements for support may not be included with the letter. Contact the Office of the Dean of the Faculty should you have questions about the arrangement. The following protocol should be used when charging salaries related to hiring and retention agreements:

  1. The Program GU036 (Spousal Agreement) should be used solely for the expenses and funding for the term of the agreement. The chartstring(s) being used for such agreements should include the Home Department number(HHHHH), the program mentioned above, and a fund code (FFFFF) that will depend upon the funding source(s).
  2. The Home Department should move 100% of the salary in Labor Accounting proportionally to the chartstring(s) HHHHH-FFFFF-GU036 receiving the contributions in Step 1.
    a. When the commitment includes teaching, the portion of the salary related to teaching should be directly charged to the appropriate teaching budget chartstring.
    b. Salary support that is provided by sponsored research accounts should be directly charged to those projects, on sponsored research funds G0001 or G0002, as appropriate.
  3. At the beginning of each academic year, the Home Department should provide the following information to each of the contributing departments and the Office of the Dean of the Faculty or the Office of the Provost, depending upon the source of the centrally provided funds:
    a. The department HHHHH and program GU036 where the funding should be assigned,
    b. The calculated contribution of salary and benefits for the current fiscal year,
    c. The Home Department should advise contributing departments to move the funds via an assignment journal to HHHHH and program GU036.
    d. It is important to forward a new request each year per the terms of the agreement.
  4. If the employee leaves before the full term of the agreement, the home department is responsible for returning unused funds to the departments in proportion to their contribution.

Should you have any questions or concerns please contact Kuete Gayibor in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.